If you’re looking for a property management company, it will help to learn questions to ask and how to interview property management company. Santa Monica has a lot of great property management companies and these are a few questions and pointers you can ask them about:
Ensuring Quality Tenants
For starters, when you interview a Property Management company Santa Monica, you want to ask about their screening process for your home or apartment building. Generally, screenings should include:
- Knowing that tenants have paid and will pay their rent on time
- Finding tenants that are looking for long term residency and will keep the property safe
- Ensuring that tenants will maintain the property and won’t cause damage, make excessive noise or cause disruptions
Your property management company should be knowledgeable about doing background checks, running ads, understanding landlord tenant laws and also they should have a thorough knowledge about bill payments, rent rolls and sending monthly statements to you each month.
Ask about any issues where they may have had to take someone to court or dealt with any issues like rent scams or noisy tenants so you know that they have experience in the landlord tenant process and the various guidelines they have to adhere to.
Legal Problems with Tenants
Experience is key when it comes to property management companies and by hiring a company that has years of experience in all kinds of landlord tenant issues, this can help to minimize problems and headaches in the future. Confirm your company will do all they can to avoid lawsuits and will not do anything to discriminate against tenants. Each state has their own laws and these must be followed. They should also understand:
- Tenant screenings and how to interview applicants and proper ways to run ads so they don’t discriminate against potential tenants
- The safety and property concerns with the property and ways to keep it safe whether its caution signs if someone is mopping a common area to testing fire equipment and elevators
- Evictions, terminating leases, security deposits, rent rolls and bill payments
- Inspections prior to a tenant moving in, as well as when they leave
- Rules and guidelines for the property and lease addendums
By making sure your property management company is experienced with all aspects of managing a property and working with potential and existing tenants, this can save you from having to go to court over a lawsuit that can and should be avoided.
Long Term Tenancy
Finding and keeping tenants long term can sometimes prove challenging if you live in an area where there are a lot of students or young families that want to move into larger homes. That’s why it helps to have a property management company that works well with their marketing team to advertise your property and highlight its best features.
Another way that your company can help with long term tenancy is to help tenants with any issues that arise such as leaks, floods, lost keys, repainting, extermination, landscaping and keeping driveways, walkways and common areas clean and free from debris and hazardous materials. By keeping turnover down and tenants happy this can increase your return on investment for the long term!